Madrid, the capital of Spain was our holiday destination couple of years back. It is the largest city in Spain. Madrid is known for it’s elegant architecture, art, culture and history. The cosmopolitan city of Madrid is home to beautifully maintained parks and gardens.
You can reach Madrid from any part of the world, as almost all the airlines fly to the city. We took the direct Emirates flight to Madrid from Dubai. The flight journey was 7 hours. As in many cities in Europe, Madrid also has a good transport system. Within Madrid we traveled by bus and train. Apart from walking, it was the best mode of transport.
We visited Madrid during the winter and the weather was cold and chilly. I think the best time to visit Madrid will be from April-June and September-November. Summer can be very hot and humid.
Madrid offers hotels for all kinds of budget. Whether you are looking for a Five-Star hotel, mid-range hotel apartment or guesthouse or a budget hotel, it has everything covered. We stayed at the Sheraton Madrid Mirasierra Hotel & Spa. It was a luxurious and wonderful property.
We were in Madrid for 3 days and covered most of the must-visit places in and around the city. We mostly used public transport for sight seeing. Most of the city’s popular destinations are centrally located.
Some of my favorite spots in Madrid are:
• Madrid Cathedral
• Plaza Mayor
• Puerta del Sol
• Puerta de Alcala
• Gran Via
• Plaza de Cibeles
• Plaza de Oriente
• Temple of Debod
• Santiago Bernabeu Stadium (you can watch ‘Real Madrid’ play)
• Visit the many beautiful parks and garden
• Watch a Flamenco show.
• Check out the thriving culinary scene in Madrid. Indulge in tapas, wines and churros. Go on a food tour and try real Spanish gourmet food and wine.
• A visit to Mercado de San Miguel is a must to sample local food, cooking classes, concerts and shopping.
• Go shopping-some of the best fashion brands come from Spain.
• Nightlife-Madrid has some of the best clubs, the city’s nightlife never stops as they are open from Monday to Sunday, until the wee hours of the morning.
Whether you are planning to visit Madrid on your own or with family or friends, it is a great city to visit. Madrid is one of the liveliest cities in Europe. This sophisticated city’s many attractions makes it a truly unforgettable city.