I like Japanese food, but whenever I visit a Japanese restaurant, I hardly get much options. This is the complaint of many vegetarian and vegan people I know. And yes, being a vegetarian, I certainly feel the same.
Sumo Sushi & Bento, a popular sushi and Japanese restaurant in Dubai and all over GCC serves up a wide variety to please any palate. They’ve a separate vegetarian section in their menu and they are vegan friendly too. That’s great news isn’t!
So yesterday I visited Sumo Sushi & Bento for lunch. They’ve many outlets in Dubai, you can visit an outlet close to you. They are open seven days a week, you can dine-in or takeaway or get it delivered at your door.
Sumo Sushi & Bento is a family friendly restaurant with minimalistic and simple decor. They offer everything from Bento boxes, Ramen to traditional sushi, sushi sandwiches and poke bowl. Their menu is vast and elaborate.
We started our lunch with two of their very refreshing drinks- Burj 7 and Ginger Cooler. Their menu had so many vegetarian options that we were literally spoilt for choice. Below is the list of some of the dishes that we ordered:
- Steamed and spicy Edamame was the first appetizer that we ordered.
- Healthy, tasty and crunchy Veggie Vietnam had a medley of veggies, lettuce and coriander wrapped in light rice paper.
- Loved the fact that they also had Veggie Gyoza in their menu and we had to order their traditional gyoza filled with vegetables.
- Veggie Tempura Roll was crispy and tasty. The combination was good- a tempura and roll in one bite.
- Forbidden Roll is one of their signature rolls and it had avocado, cucumber, asparagus rolled with black sushi rice and topped with avocado that was drizzled with their creamy nut sauce. Their Forbidden Roll is definitely worth trying.
- The Veggie Ramen made with vegetarian soup stock, assorted vegetables, tofu and traditional ramen noodles was comfort food in a bowl. A must-try for all ramen fans.
- Japanese Curry had authentic and exquisite flavors. It was served with a portion of rice.
- For dessert, we ordered Tempura Ice Cream or fried vanilla ice cream with crispy panko shell. We didn’t enjoy this dessert as we felt that the combo didn’t work well. The Green Tea Ice Cream was good.
- We ended our lunch with a pot of soothing and aromatic Green Tea.
We enjoyed our lunch at Sumo Sushi & Bento and so glad that they’ve so many vegetarian choices like people like me. Now I know where to go when I am craving for Japanese food.