When legendary live music bar- The Music Room shut down, I was really sad as I was one of the regulars there. In its place comes the new bar, lounge and Indian cafe: Bar Baar which is billed as the city’s ‘social hub meets gastropub’.
When I visited Bar Baar with a friend last week, I didn’t have a clue about the venue or the food served there. Oh my gosh! What an amazing place, I am still raving about Bar Baar to all my friends even after a week.
Located in Majestic Hotel Tower Dubai in Mankhool, Bar Baar is a vibrant, trendy and welcoming venue. It has a vibe of an Indian cafe bar. The venue has four different areas: The Living room, that reminded me of communal living in Mumbai, The Lounge that has comfy sofas and work desks, Community table or community dining where everyone sits on one long table and lastly the bar area with high stools.
In the center of the venue is a stage for live performances. You can expect talented music bands both local and international as well as top notch comedy acts. They also have an in-house DJ.
Hear what team Bar Baar has to say about their concept:
Bar Baar, recurring nostalgia of the streets of bygone days, where food smelled different, where childhood memories persisted. Those days aren’t gone yet, the experience can be still relived.
Bar Baar presents a twist to the regular style of dining. Each dish shouts out to the busy streets of yester India, preserving the authenticity of taste. The food is a perfect amalgamation of reminiscence and modern style dining.
Their drinks menu is elaborate with a huge variety of cocktails, mocktails and other spirits. We were fascinated by their signature cocktails that were inspired by Indian politicians, Bollywood stars and Bollywood movies. We tried 6 of their delectable cocktails:
- #Mitro – Irish whiskey, masala chai décoction with star anise infused brandy.
- Baa-Pu – Vodka and beetroot purée based cocktail.
- Amma– A South Indian inspired cocktail with spiced rum, rasam powder and many other ingredients. It was served with popular South Indian snack Murku.
- Khujli-Wala– Vodka and cotton candy based drink which is on sweeter side.
- Didi– A tequila based drink inspired by the Eastern part of India that was served along with puffed rice.
- #PK– Vodka, banana liquor and baileys based drink.
Except Khujli-Wala and #PK, which was a tad too sweet. I liked all their drinks. Loved the creativity, presentation and the taste of their cocktails.
Whether you are vegetarian or a non vegetarian, Bar Baar has it covered. Being vegetarians, we tried their veg dishes and some of the dishes we tried were:
- Kanda Bhajiya or deep-fried onion fritters were crispy and crunchy. It was served with freshly made green chutney.
- Shakarakand Ki Chaat is the sweet potato chaat and it was super yummy, flavorful and addictive.
- Spicy Mushroom was another starter that we liked. Its a popular Parsi dish that has Khari toast topped with mushroom, spices and cheese.
- Vada Pav is Mumbai’s most famous street food. And every bite of Bar Baar’s Vada Pav transported me back to the streets of Mumbai. A must-try.
- We were floored by their take on pizza- Puff Pizza which is a pizza made with flaky puff and topped with veggies and cheese. It was light and tasty.
- As our main course, we ordered Baigan Bharta with Laccha Paratha. The Baigan Bharta was a sure shot hit. Loved the delicious smokey flavor of the roasted eggplant. The multi-layered Laccha Paratha that was made with desi ghee went well with the Baigan Bharta.
- For desserts, we ordered Motichoor Cheesecake and Falooda Ek Number. Both the desserts were scrumptious, but the Falooda was our favorite.
What a fabulous experience we had at Bar Baar! Loved the drinks, the food, the service, the quirky interiors and lively atmosphere. We want to go there Bar Baar which means again and again in Hindi.