The recently opened La Mer Dubai is the most sought after lifestyle destination in Dubai at the moment. And it is my favorite dining destination too, I love the eclectic selection of eateries in La Mer. Homegrown concept Slab is the latest addition to the dining scene in La Mer and we visited Slab for lunch recently.
Located in the North of La Mer, Slab is a contemporary eatery that offers global food prepared by using only the best produce of the season. So you can expect an evolving menu with beautifully handcrafted dishes.
I was wowed by their simple and experimental dishes. Each and every dish at Slab is an art in itself, pleasing for the eyes and taste buds. The culinary journey at Slab is a must-try for all the discerning foodies in UAE.
The decor of Slab is modern, minimalistic and oh-so-attractive. It has both indoor and outdoor dining space. They’ve an open kitchen concept and you can watch your food being prepared. The eatery is helmed by Chef Omar Rodriguez.
Open from 10 in the morning to late in the night, Slab serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. As I visited them for lunch, I tried their lunch menu that offers a selection of salads, tartines, mains, sides and desserts. Being a vegetarian, I was happy with options for not only vegetarians but vegans too though the choices are limited.
We started with their Crafted Drinks – Golden Temple, a fresh strawberry and raspberry based drink with ginger ale, lime juice and vanilla syrup and Pina Smash, a pineapple and lime juice based drink with coriander and chili syrup. Both our drinks were super refreshing, I especially loved the spicy Pina Smash.
Listed below is some of the dishes we tried:
- As our amuse bouche or pre-starter, we were served bite-sized potato crisp topped with homemade tomato dip with cream cheese.
- Their soup of the day was Butternut Squash and Orange Soup that was seasoned with sumac and topped with Parmesan crisp. I don’t remember when was the last time I finished a bowl of soup, their soup is outstanding and even if you don’t like soup, you’ll not be able to resist their Butternut Squash and Orange Soup.
- Charred Ricotta and Heirloom Tomato Salad is one of their signature dishes , its a moreish salad with layers of fennel shavings, smoky charred ricotta cheese, pesto and heirloom tomatoes dressed in a lemon vinaigrette.
- Quinoa and Broccoli Salad was another standout dish that had a delicious combination of black quinoa, broccoli, couscous, pistachio and beetroot.
- As our sides we ordered the crispy Cassava Crisps with avocado dip, addictive Zucchini Fritters and their scrumptious Baked Pumpkin with feta and Parmesan. We liked all the sides that we ordered, but their zucchini fritters and baked pumpkin comes totally recommended.
- For our mains, we ordered two of their Tartines. And all their Tartines or open-faced sandwiches are made after ordering, from their house-baked breads and home cooked ingredients. The first Tartine we tried was The Vegetarian that had roasted root veggies with walnut butter and goat cheese on a sourdough bread. We liked the roasted root vegetables topping but not with the bread, it would have been better as a salad. Even the bread was too hard. But we absolutely loved the delicious Ricotta and Tomato Bruschetta which had toasted ciabatta topped with heirloom tomatoes, roasted peppers, creamy ricotta cheese and pesto.
- We had two of their desserts- Pain Perdu which had yuzu soaked French toast with macerated berries and white chocolate custard. It had melt-in-your mouth deliciousness to it. A must-try at Slab. As a pistachio lover, I had to order their Mafroukeh Cheesecake, a light and divine tasting dessert. It had yogurt cheesecake, pistachio and semolina base with fresh kiwi salad.
To sum it up, Slab offers casual dining with fine dining quality food and ingredients, minus the hefty fine dining price tag. Everything from food to drinks, to plating and presentation is top notch. The impeccable service and sublime ambience enhances the overall experience of Slab. It is one of the few places that I would want to visit again.
Phone: 04 448 9526