When Matto opened few months ago, it created a big buzz in Dubai. And when I was invited to a bloggers lunch last month, I was more than happy to accept it and find out for myself whether the food was worth the hype.
Located in the Lobby Level of The Oberoi in Business Bay, Matto is a homegrown Italian restaurant. They call themselves, an unordinary restaurant. Named after the Italian word for crazy, Matto plays by its own rules.
Here’s what they have to say about themselves:
At Matto Italian Restaurant, we dare to be different, taking a stand against normality. True to the Mediterranean way of life, get ready to be immersed in a truly Italian experience unlike any other. Prepare to be transported to the busy streets of Italy as the sing-song of Italian words fill the air, paving the way for a gastronomically tantalizing meal created in a kitchen worthy of Nonna’s approval. Where modernity and history collide, Matto offers a modern take on traditional cooking methods, presenting an exceptional dining experience without breaking the bank.
Entering into the restaurant, we were greeted by the friendly and mostly Italian staff. I immediately fell in love with this uber chic venue. It has a cool and a casual vibe.
Matto is a vibrant space. Loved the giant mural of a man kissing a fish. The Vespa scooter at the entrance gave it an Italian touch.
For drinks some of the bloggers ordered wine while some us ordered mocktails. I ordered a watermelon based mocktail. It tasted like ordinary watermelon juice with lot of ice cubes.
While we were checking out their business lunch, we were offered their freshly baked Bread. Matto is a vegetarian friendly restaurant, with great veg options.
The Business Lunch happens on week days from 12:30 to 3:30pm. You can create your own business lunch from their business lunch menu with starters priced at AED 35 and mains priced at AED 55. Apart from the business menu, we also sampled many dishes from their regular menu.
- Bruschetta- Homemade toasted bread with garlic, plum tomatoes, oregano and extra virgin olive oil.
- Tortino Di Carciofi- Artichoke cake with pecorino cream cheese.
- Parmigiana- Sliced eggplant layered with mozzarella, tomato sauce, basil and Parmesan.
I liked all the three starters as it was well made, fresh and tasty. My tip, go for the Tortino Di Carciofi as its different and you will not find it in many restaurants in Dubai.
- Bufalina pizza- Made with buffalo mozzarella, tomato and basil in wood fired oven was amazing.
- Ortolana pizza- It was a hearty pizza made with mozzarella and a medley of veggies. A great vegetarian option.
- Cannelloni Gratinati- Baked pasta tubes stuffed with ricotta cheese and spinach in a creamy tomato sauce topped with Parmesan cheese was lip smackingly delicious.
- Melanzane & Burrata- This was one of my favorites. It was made with paccheri pasta, burrata, eggplant with cherry tomato sauce.
Dessert was an indulgent affair, we sampled four of their desserts.
- Striscette- Lightly fried dough strips covered in icing sugar and served with Nutella.
- Tiramisu- No explanation required for this classic Italian dessert.
- Cannoli- Sicilian cannoli stuffed with sweet ricotta cheese, pistachios and orange sauce.
- Matto Rock- Praline Sphere with hazelnut crust.
While Striscette was comfort food at its best, the Tiramisu was absolutely delicious, Cannoli was a bit of a disappointment as it was too hard. The divine tasting Matto Rock was the show stopper.
Whether its for business or pleasure, casual lunch or dinner dates, Matto has it covered. Expect traditional and warm Italian hospitality.
Phone: 04 444 1335