Having lived in Dubai for fifteen years, I’ve visited most of the Chinese restaurants-from fine dining to hole in the wall kind of places. Maiden Shanghai Chinese restaurant is a refreshing new addition to the Chinese dining scene in the city.
Located in the sleek and stylish Five Palm Jumeirah, Maiden Shanghai offers authentic Chinese cuisine with a contemporary flair. Open for lunch and dinner every day, you can expect delicious food, creatively handcrafted cocktails, good music in a sublime setting.
Maiden Shanghai is a new exploration of authentic Chinese cooking in a spectacular Dubai setting.
Maiden Shanghai has Chinese inspired decor in a modern bistro style setting. The restaurant boasts of a stunning marina view. It offers a variety of seating arrangement, from al fresco dining option to indoor seating area, bar area and private dining rooms. They also have a karaoke room.
After being seated, we were handed their drinks and food menu. Their drinks menu has an extensive wine list as well as signature cocktails, mocktails and other spirits.
We tried 4 of their signature cocktails:
- Five Clawed Dragon
- The Magical Peach
- Negroni FU Twist
- Jade Emperor
Each one of the cocktail was carefully crafted and was deliciously different and had a distinct flavor and taste. Its difficult to decide which was my favorite cocktail, but the Tequila, passion fruit, lime and goji berry based Five Clawed Dragon is an absolute must-try, not only did it look exquisite, tasted exquisite too.
Coming to the food menu, I was happy to note that they offer great options for vegetarians like me. In fact some of their dishes are vegan friendly too.
For lunch, they also have a set menu, but we ordered from the à la carte menu. Below is the list of dishes that we ordered for our lunch:
- Shanghai Spring Rolls were crisp and tasty veg spring rolls that were non greasy.
- Salt & Pepper Tofu was perfectly crisp with a light and slightly spicy flavor. It went well with the sweet chili sauce.
- Poached Okra with Ginger Sauce was the cold appetizer that we ordered. The ginger sauce was good, but the poached okra was disappointing. The okra was raw and not poached properly. It definitely needs to be improved.
- Wok tossed wild mushrooms with dry smoked chili had a great smoky flavor with a subtle hint of Sichuan spiced salt. Totally recommend this dish to all mushroom lovers.
- Wok braised Aubergine with yellow bean paste is one of my favorite Sichuan dishes and when I saw it in their menu, I had to order it. The aubergine was tender and juicy in the delicious sauce.
- Egg Fried Rice is a simple dish and you cannot go wrong with that.
- We ordered rich and creamy Mango Pudding that was bursting with fresh mango flavor and the healthy yet incredibly delicious Ginger Baked Yogurt for dessert. Their dessert menu is small but has a wonderful selection.
- We ended our lunch with a pot of relaxing and soothing Green Tea.
Would I like to visit Maiden Shanghai again? A big yes! Maiden Shanghai has got it right in all the departments- food, drinks, service, atmosphere and music. And I can’t wait to visit them again.
Phone:04 455 9989