The H Hotel in Dubai has got a brand new dining outlet called Moombai & Co which recently opened in mid-September. Moombai & Co is an Irani-Parsi cafe concept that flourished in Mumbai of yesteryears.
As soon as we entered Moombai & Co, we felt like we were transported to Mumbai of 70’s and 80’s. Yes, we felt the magic of olden days of Moombai right here in the modern melting pot of cultures that is Doobai.
Hear what Moombai & Co have to say about their concept:
Moombai & Co Café and Bar takes you on a journey back to the traditional Irani-Parsi cafes, fusing together the magic of olden day Mumbai with the modern vibrancy of Dubai.
We bring you a Café style menu offering traditional Parsi cuisine with all of your favorite dishes. Reminiscent of an Indian Auntie’s dearly loved recipes, expect nostalgic dishes with a quirky, new fashioned flare.
True to their words, Moombai & Co evokes the same magic. We loved the quirky setup of the place, that had rules written on the board, colorful posters of old Bollywood movies adorned the walls, even the simple furniture looked straight out of a Parsi Cafe from Mumbai.
From menu to the tableware and cutlery, everything went perfectly with the concept. And the old classic music of 70’s and 80’s enhanced our whole dining experience.
The cafe is spacious with various types of seating arrangement. Their outdoor terrace will also open soon. Moombai & Co also has a separate bar and you can expect a quirky take on classic drinks.
After being seated, we were offered complimentary Poppadam and Condiments like pickle and chutney along with a Palate Cleanser.
Unfortunately, the day we visited the cafe was a dry day in Dubai and we couldn’t order any of their alcohol based cocktails. We had to settle for Chaas, Pineapple Juice and Fresh Lime Soda which were not exceptionally good.
- Bhel Puri is Mumbai’s popular street side savory snack. The Bhel Puri was crispy and very tasty. It was served street-style in a paper cone.
- Delicious Onion Bhaji(onion fritters) was served with mint chutney.
- Paneer Achari Tikka was marinated and grilled to perfection with pickle based spices. It was one of our favorite dishes.
- Chat patte Charre Aloo had baby potatoes in a dry spice mix that was charred in the clay oven. We found it too spicy.
- Paneer Khurchan that had cottage cheese tossed with capsicum and onion in a tomato gravy had a great flavor and texture. A definite must-try at Moombai & Co.
- Sindhi Kadhi is a speciality of Sindhi cuisine from India. It is a tangy curry made with veggies and gram flour. It goes perfectly with steamed rice.
- Dal Makhani or black dal was well cooked and tasted utterly delicious.
- Kachumber Salad was our side dish. It was a crunchy salad made with freshly diced green mangoes, sweet corn, onions and greens tossed with vinegar.
- Rotli or thin whole wheat chapatis/bread that was freshly cooked on a cast griddle went well with our curries.
- Garlic and Cheese Naan was scrumptious.
No meal is complete without a dessert, and Moombai & Co offers a good range of desserts. We ordered their Kulfi Platter which can be shared between 5-6 people. As we were a group of five, it was perfect for us. The Kulfi Platter had a selection of seasonal flavored kulfis with chilled fruits. We relished it.
We absolutely loved our Moombai & Co experience. Good food, amazing service, lively atmosphere, seriously good Bollywood music and energetic vibes- that sums up Moombai & Co.
For reservations or enquiries:
Phone: 04 501 8607
Daily 11am-12am(Thursday and Friday 11am-1am)